Library - IKEA hacked library

I was chatting to a good friend of mine and sent her a link to this blog and realised that I never posted about my library!  I couldn't believe it!  Because I LOVE my library.

This is what it looks like:
Gorgeous Home Library

Yep we built it ourselves

It's still not 'finished'.  Needs moulding and needs skirting boards but it's close.  And definitely enough to enjoy with our feet up or curled up with a cup of tea and a book (or mobile phone or tablet) in hand.

If you did read through this blog you will see that I thought about doing a Billy Bookshelf hacked up library.  But it just wasn't going to work.  And I really wanted a black library which wasn't as easy as a white one if I was going to hack it... but then we looked at IKEA more intently... and spotted this:

This looked a lot more doable and pleasing to us.  And it was all based on IKEA's Metod kitchen cabinet series.  So I got to planning and ordering.  I ordered one "tower" at a time.  There are around 8 'towers'.  Each tower consists of a base and then two glass cabinets.  But we used all the equivalent of a wall cabinet for bases and for the cabinets at top.

Here's a set of 'towers' being put in.  In these photos it's the third tower.




Each tower had a lot of flat packed boxes which we'd cart back from Tempe and then put together.  It took lots of trips!  We split it up as we could only deal with a bit at a time and also the car could only fit so many.

We love the end result and it's my favourite room in the house.

Added a nice rug and love my lamp

It was amazing what finishing the room off with a lamp rug can do!

Reflections in our stacking doors
The stacking doors are great and we rarely close all the curtains as the neighbours aren't able to see in.

The library IKEA hack is not cheap.  I think the cost estimate for a Billy Hack was around a few grand, this one ended up around $8000 range.  So keep that in mind when you look at this as an option for your place.  We did go the extra lights, glass shelves up top and the soft close drawers and doors... and didn't skimp on the finish of the cabinets if that helps your decision making process.

Comments

Popular