Floors purchased + thinking ahead

Added a vintage feel to this snapshot since I feel we'll be so old by the time it is finished being built!

Just got another letter today claiming a further 5 days of rain and wet site so no building has started.  Let's hope this week will be a bit better with the weather!  And therefore allow the site to be accessible by truck and our $2000 fill can be added.

We paid a deposit for our floorboards today for the Nova Brown vintage laminate.  I'm glad we went because they are discontinuing them and we have designed the whole house colour scheme around the floors.  It wouldn't have been a disaster if we didn't get them but I can imagine that I would have been quite upset!  We went with the Dunlop Thermocoustic at $4 per sq metre.  The floorboards were somewhat discounted at $34 per square metre.  It's unfortunate we couldn't get the same price as the Nova Copper colour which was at $29 per square metre... and I can't remember the price the floor was when it was discounted at the summer sales.  And in a way I suppose I don't want to.  All up the floors are $5600 plus whatever trim and accessories we need.  

I'm thinking of these trim bits from Prestige / Premium Floors.



I'm not a huge fan of the normal beading and think this would look better against the kitchen island elements and bathroom entrances.  How I do the bit around the R2 servery is another story!  And yes I used the word 'I'.  When asked today if we wanted it installed and told it would be $3000 at the cheap end I decided that we'd do it ourselves.  As I want Will to concentrate on fixing things like the deck, it would mean that I do the floor while he concentrates on the deck so we can at least move in.  

As an aside, we just worked out from a minimal standpoint what we need to do to move in (based on what we know) is:
  • Driveway
  • Carpet in the bedrooms
  • Fridge
  • Install dog door and secure perimeter for dog
Urgent but not critical
  • Toaster
  • Floors (laminate)
  • Window coverings (bedroom and study)
  • Charge termite barrier
  • Alarm system and security system
  • Door bell
  • Front door hardware and lock/s
  • Light fitting for above kitchen bench
Important but not critical
  • Deck
  • Window furnishings including pelmets
  • Courtyard lights

Btw we got the "building works" sign on our property too which was installed sometime between Weds and Friday.

Comments

Popular