And now locked up

Wow, a huge milestone for the building journey.

We're at lock up!

In the last post I talked about how quickly things were moving and how the SS had said the waterproofing and the carpenter had been scheduled in the next week.... guess what?  They have been by!  And cornices are being put in now but aren't at all near finished.

Front door installed and locked
We didn't upgrade the door to a wider door or to a special door handle.  We did 'upgrade' the door to have the two small thin vertical glazing bits from one of the two standard doors we were offered but it was included as a 'special' from the Sales Manager.  I still don't love the door but it's a door that looks OK.  And it will be painted in Urban Grey.  The front of the house really didn't get much love other than the colonial bar windows!

Ensuite vanity in place
I wonder how the tiles get done or if this is sort of a trial fitting?

Main bathroom
Also has it's waterproofing and the vanity installed.  Not sure how stuck down it is -- I'm hoping that it's not and it's just a trial fitting as well.  I want the tiles to go under and behind!  Let's see how this all works.

Laundry door (extra upgrade from a sliding door!) is also installed
Really not sure why this costs extra unless it's because it's extra brickwork etc as the door itself should be cheaper than a sliding glass door?  The reason we upgraded it was so we could easily install a dog door as this is the main entry for the dog/s (plan is to adopt a second dog).


Kitchen installed
The kitchen is looking a lot more modern than I expected - mainly due to the sharknose doors and drawers but not something I'm unhappy about.  I don't know if it's just my impatience showing through where I'd like anything at this stage and want to just hurry the build along.  We asked for no handles or knobs as we wanted to choose and install our own after handover.  Looks like we won't need to now!  The top cupboards were designed to have a bit of a overhang so I could just use them to open the cupboards.  I suspect the kitchen guys weren't given any background (chinese whispers!) so just made the call to add the sharknose cupboards and drawers to the base units.

The top cabinets are looking very tall but I wonder if it will look less so when we have the ceilings painted as then it will kinda fade into the background?  As it is I think I'll need to get a taller ladder than what I have for the kitchen now.
Doors all lined up and ready to be installed
The carpenter is pretty good at preparation.  Or the site supervisor.  Someone is doing a great job making sure things are ready to rock and roll when they come in next time.

Lots of prepping area
One thing our SS said was the tradies love these sorts of houses as there is so much space to spread out.  Definitely something we offer a lot of ;)

The day before lock up



Waterproofing detail (ensuite)
No idea how waterproofing works and why it's in the special configuration!

Shower Niche
Super expensive shampoo holder.  We only went for the one in the ensuite as it was too expensive to have two of and since we usually use this shower... this is where it went.  Guests will just have to put their bottles and shower gels on the floor.  Although I think the draftsperson insisted on a soap holder (which I hate!).  Hmmm wonder if I can tell our SS to leave it off?

Architraves and skirting I assume?

Doors from the day before

Dishwasher space
Hmm.. the floor installation (we'll be doing this) is going to be tricksie!

Kitchen Cabinets installed
I wonder why they install before paint.  I suppose they don't need to paint as much then.  But you would think that it would get in the way because I think the first coat is sprayed?  Actually I assume both coats are sprayed but someone runs a roller on top!  But who knows.  I'm hoping the coverage is good as we went with a fairly dark colour - Reiki - although now it's called Subtle Hint and we're now getting Haymes paint which means it doesn't have a real name ;)


Base cabinets in Domain Riven Finish
A bit unsure how the riven finish is going to work as it's very matt and textured.  It may prove a bit harder to clean.  At the moment it just feels super dusty!

Other room seen via the pantry
Time will tell if this 'through' pantry thing will work from a practical sense.  I think it will.  As it makes getting to the fridge a bit easier.  And it means we can vent the pantry and close the cavity sliding doors.  Extra doors between food and mouth may be a good thing too ;)

Laundry waterproofed

The loo waterproofed

Reason for my blurry photos :(
I got my Nexus 5 fixed now!  For $160.  A bit unsure if I want to claim this on insurance as it's a $100 excess.  Unless I can claim the purchase of my temporary phone too?

Bathtub surrounds plastered in with a silver rim thing




Comments

Popular